Friday, June 29, 2007

Consumerism Run Amuck

I know that the practice of lining up hours or even days in advance for the latest, greatest product is nothing new, but it disturbs me anew each and every time it happens. And, as if you didn't know, today's line is for the iPhone. Is it that important to have it first?! One young man interviewed on Channel 11 this morning said the iPhone is his "early Christmas present". Right. This young man will have nothing under the tree 6 months from now because of a $600 purchase in June. (Yes, he's buying the more costly version.) Instead of Christmas decorations we need a year-round set of specialty lights on our homes that proclaim our rampant consumerism! Perhaps they could come with the latest, greatest product at no additional charge.

6 comments:

Alan Zuckerman said...

It would be a mistake to underestimate people's urge to fit into a peer group. There are many out there, each with its own attributes; but when you belong to one, you feel a compelling desire to do what that group does. iPhones are just one of the badges of belonging of some of the groups out there. If it wasn't iPhones, it would be something else.

ARothrock said...

Its amazing how many people are trying to keep up with the Jones's.

beachy librarian said...

At the risk of repeating myself, I will just say "just because they CAN do something with technology, doesn't mean they "should", or that we NEED it. I'm sure the Iphone is cool, and maybe is even the phone of the future, but I agree, the mania to have the newest technology says something about our materialistic society.

Amy said...

It is so very true that the urge to "fit in" is important to us all. But surely we need to encourage and remind each other that expensive stuff is no guarantee to that end.

MDNewbie said...

It's a sad commentary about our times. Apparently the question, "Do I really need this new item?" is not something these people ask themselves.

Dances With Keyboards said...

Wait - there's more... There's society and your own peer group that constantly tells you you're weird if you don't try to keep up.

Everyone knows that I love technology, right? One of my friends actually referred to me as a "luddite," merely because I don't like to use my cell phone.

What's up with that? I barely use the REGULAR phone. Sometimes, I don't WANT to be found. I don't even understand the need to be THAT accessible at all times?

Anyhoo - keep up the good work on your 2.0 project and your blog!

Annette